Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wednesday, July 18th: Leaving the Nest


The time has come… I’m leaving my homestay and moving to my hospital tomorrow! School is winding down and we had our final Kiswahili exam today (think it went alright!). I hung out with my colleagues a bunch these last few days. Since we’re all being placed in different hospitals, I won’t see most of them until our final conference August 18th! L

I’m also so sad to be leaving my homestay. Baba gave us these cheesy T-shirts with lots of twiga (giraffes) on them. They also say “Karibu Tanzania!” Needless to say, it’s my new favorite shirt. They also fed us… SO MUCH. Rice, chipati, lentils, stew, parachichi (since they know that avocadoes are my absolute favorite!), and even… ICE CREAM!

I gave them some of their gifts too! I gave Baba two NY mugs and some candy, Christina got Tupperware, new sponges, and a solar powered dancing monkey, Brenda and baby James got a coloring book and one of the robotic mice that my cousins, Sabrina and Samantha, let me take to Africa. Most of my cousins’ donations will go to the orphanage at my hospital. Although… Brenda is OBSESSED with this mouse! I'm so thankful for the time I've spent with my host family.

I’m a little nervous, but really excited about my hospital. It is situated on the side of Mt. Meru, and I’m not sure what my transportation and housing will be like… but I can’t wait to get my hands on some equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment