Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Thursday, June 21st: Joining the Fam

After 27 hours of traveling, I arrived in Tanzania! While studying at my school these next four weeks, I am living with a host family in the village of Mji Mwema (which literally means, “Peaceful City”). My host father, James, has eight years of hosting experience for the program and is THE cutest. He is so genuinely happy to have my roommate, Raelyn, and I, stay in his home. We honestly couldn’t have been luckier.

James has six children, who are grown up now with children of their own. He lives in a compound with much of his family, including his son David, and his children, Brenda and James. Brenda is four and James is five months old… HOLY COW they are ADORABLE.  Raelyn and I play with them all the time. :D

Here, the definition of “family” isn’t only confined to relatives; close friends are also considered your family. Therefore, a few family-friends live in the compound with James as well! Christina, for example, cooks and cleans in the home. She is sweeter than nutella, prepares the most delicious meals, and is such a hard worker! Essentially she’s James’s adopted daughter, and I consider her my host sister.

The house is beautiful. It has running water, electricity, and a toilet. Also, I think Christina feeds us too much; the food is so fresh here! I do take bucket showers since the running water is only cold, so Christina heats up water for us over a fire. We also have mosquito nets, but Raelyn and I like to think of them as the princess canopies we’ve always wanted! ;)

Also, just wanted to shout out to my awesome roomie, Raelyn! I am so fortunate to be with this lovely biomedical/electrical engineer from Canada. We have so much love for each other already. Here is a link to here blog if you’re interested: togiveandreceive.blogspot.com 









No comments:

Post a Comment