Sunday, July 8, 2012

Thursday, June 28th: First week

I’ve already been in Africa for over a week… Crazy, right!?  

In any case, school this week was swell. For Swahili, we’ve split off into smaller groups and my teacher this week is Kisanji. Yeye ni mwalimu mzuri. Bomba bomba! I am learning quickly, and it definitely helps to have my Swahili reinforced at home. My engineering teacher is also pretty sweet. He is from Peru, and his manner of talking and accent remind me of Consuela from Family Guy (ahh… no…), but he is very funny and knows his stuff. In lab this week, Rae and I made an extension cord, practiced soldering, and did some supah fun stuff with multimeters and transformers. Raelyn, who already has her Master’s Degree, is surely a gift from God. I am learning so much from her!

Life at home gets better and better each day. In addition to ugali, we’ve also tried chipati, which is delicious African bread similar to Indian naan. Rae and I are definitely becoming part of the family. Typically, we pray before each meal, and occasionally we will sing from their Christian hymnbooks as well. We have a lot of fun. One night dinner this week, we were hanging out with Christina, and her friend Zebeta. They really wanted to “paint” our nails with henna, so they did. Henna isn’t a nail coating like we’re used to. It’s a stain that got all over our nails and fingers. It was a disaster when we washed the globs of henna off the next day. It definitely would look cool if we weren’t such Mzungu.

All in all, great week! Today, it’s official: we are going on our safari this weekend! 






The horrific aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment