Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saturday, June 24th: I survived the Dala Dala

This weekend I got to experience a lot more of Tanzanian culture.  On Saturday, our class took a trip to a Masai village on the side of Mt. Meru. Our coordinator had reserved Dala Dalas for us to take.

Before I continue. I need to explain that a Dala Dala is a small van for about 12 people, usually packed with around 20 people. It is a common (and cheap!) mode of transportation for most Tanzanians. The vans are typically poorly maintained and drive so fast! Taking this little rinky-dink van up part of a mountain, on the terrible bumpy dirt roads was… quite the adventure! We got very close to the village when the van stalled for the second time. The drivers thought perhaps it’d be better if we got out and walked the rest of the way.

The village is a settlement of the typically nomadic Masai people. This particular settlement receives livestock from the Heifer International organization! My family has donated to Heifer a few times before, so it was definitely cool to see the benefits in action! We toured around, saw their huts, cattle, mole traps, children, and eventually hiked to a beautiful waterfall! The children were hilarious, and they loved talking to and looking at us. They shout “Mzungu! Mzungu!” which means foreigner, or white person. They even offered some of us flowers! In fact, the one time I received flowers, another child slapped me on the butt! I DIED of laughter, but was so confused.











No comments:

Post a Comment