Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Friday, June 22nd: Danish


Waking up for school isn't too difficult because every chicken, dog, and cow outside remind us that it's morning... In fact, there's even a mosque behind our home that starts their call to prayer at 5am! Every stinking day! I was so confused yesterday. I thought James put the radio on really loud! 

Out of all my colleagues on this program, Raelyn and I live the closest to our school (We’re only about 2 km away. And I know, I’m using the metric system! What up!!). This gives us the opportunity to walk to school everyday! I feel like a little school child. Christina even makes me a box lunch every day. J

My school was originally set up by the organization MS from Denmark. It’s called MS TCDC (Training Center for Development Cooperation), but locals know the school simply as “Danish.” The school offers short courses including Kiswahili, management, development, gardening, etc., in order to educate those looking to work in Tanzania. For me, I have Kiswahili from 8:30am – 12:30pm and engineering lecture and lab from 1:30pm – 5:00pm. So far we’ve only learned Swahili greetings and overviewed medical equipment, but it’s only been two days! In addition, we enjoy half hour tea breaks at 10am and 4pm. My colleagues and I get to talk not only to each other, but also other students and locals taking courses here.

After school, we always drink tea with our Baba. At dinner this week, I tried Ugali for the first time, and it was delicious! It’s a traditional African food made of only flour and water. You eat it with your hands! Rae and I even attempted to help cook. I think we just get in the way rather than help, but it’s still fun and I think the women get a kick out of us!






No comments:

Post a Comment