Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sunday, July 29th: Being a typical mzungu

On Saturday, I got to meet up with many of my colleagues (who I missed so very dearly) at a coffee farm in Usa River! We got to pick our own coffee, learn the Tanzanian way of preparing the beans, and, most importantly, drink it! Needless to say, it was a tasty and unique experience.

On our way home, we stopped by the supermarket in Usa River, and had yet another African experience that I thought I’d share. As I was climbing into the dirty-ass dala dala, a local was sort of harassing me. I’m quite used to guys yelling and talking to me as a “mzungu,” so I wasn’t phased, ignored him, and hopped into the world’s crappiest public transportation vehicle. Well, my dala dala conductor must’ve had a beef with this particular gentleman, because the conductor punched him square in the jaw. Classic, and ohhh so satisfactory.

Today, Raelyn and I checked out a mzungu church called, “Arusha’s Vineyard.” We heard about it through Daryl and Shirley, Baba’s Canadian friends working on “Dashir Lounge.” They’re both very involved in the ministry, and it was one of the best Christian services I’ve ever been to. I never thought I’d be so happy to hear the song, “This Little Light of Mine.” It helped remind me of how lucky I am to have the opportunity to serve God and others in Tanzania.

Gotta pick the red ones!

Grace and Oriane with them beans.

Interesting bean squishing mechanism...

No comments:

Post a Comment