Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wednesday, July 4th: Sokoni


This week, I’ve been assimilating quite nicely. Yesterday, I made African pancakes! Which are more like crepes than pancakes. So tasty. Raelyn and I try to help with dinner almost every night, and we’ve done dishes with our family while dancing to “Waka, Waka” by Shakira. I hear this song probably twice a day.

My teacher for the week is Mama Frida, one of THE CUTEST little things ever! She laughs at stuff that we think is funny, even if she doesn’t understand the reference. We’ve put “Take me to Funkytown,” and “I have 99 problems,” into dialogues, and she laughs hysterically without knowing any context.

Today we took a field trip to Tengeru Market. It was insanity; I was kind of pooping my pants at the prospect of haggling in a different language. TCDC gave us 2000 /= (Tanzanian shillings, Tsh) for fruit/vegetables to give to the school. For only about $1.25, you can buy 5 maparachichi (avocadoes), 3 mafungu mavizuri (heaps of potatoes), and 3 mafungu karoti (heaps of carrots). That’s a lot of produce! In addition, I bought myself a kitenge for a good price! Which will require some tailoring… 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so awesome! Hope you are having a good time in Tanzania. Btw some bus conductor gave me 100 TSH the other day and tried to convince me it was Kenyan currency, but it appears thats not worth very much.

    Anyways, have a good rest of the trip and keep an eye out for Keerthigan ;)

    -Dan Deng

    ReplyDelete