Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday, June 24th: Jesus and Baby Farts

Praise Bwana! It’s church day! Awww yeahhhh! James successfully convinced Raelyn and I to accompany him to a 2-hour service (which is definitely pushing it for me). In actuality, it lasted THREE WHOLE HOURS and we even left well before it ended! The service and bible were in Swahili, so James attempted to translate. Unfortunately, the pastor yelled INTO his microphone, so I could comprehend essentially nothing. The gospel singing and dancing was great though! In addition to my awkward excuse for dancing, I knew none of the words to the songs, so I’m only 100% sure I made a fool out of myself. Good times, good times.

Most memorable from this experience, was when four women came to the front and kneeled to repent their sins. The pastor put his hands on their foreheads and shouted (thankfully a few times in English), “COME OUT, DEVIL! FIRE! FIRE! PRAISE JESUS CHRIST!” until the women convulsed, cried, and/or groaned. It took a long time, and reminded me of the ridiculous Christian TV shows that Baba puts on after dinner. It was different, but I am not disgusted. It’s simply another way for individuals to repent and become closer to God. I’m glad I got to see it first hand.

Later in the day I went to the Usa River market just to check it out. My goodness was it overwhelming. Sellers can be aggressive, especially since Mzungu (white people) are immediately associated with money. We’re targets for thieves and being utterly ripped off. Raelyn bought a kitenge at a great price! Kitenge is a traditional African piece of cloth for women. It must be tailored to make skirts, dresses, etc.

Kanga are similar, but smaller and need no tailoring. They can be worn as a skirt, wrap, head wrap, or even hold a baby on your back! Raelyn and I were curious, so we experimented with a kanga on baby James. Rae was able to carry James flawlessly. Then it was my turn. Immediately after James was placed on my back, he ripped a huggeeee fart. Like, adult human huge. I started laughing, which scared James! So of course, he started crying. Total s-show. But thankfully, we kept wrapping him up. Once in the kanga, he calmed down and enjoyed his safari on my back!

Usa River Market - Spray Painted Sneakers


After he farted on me...

1 comment: